Followers

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Small Stone, Day 1

A friend of mine invited me to a Mindful Writing Challenge on Facebook for the month of January. Before I could think about it, I accepted. 
What the hell? 
Well, you know who accepted it, don't you? That writer inside of me that I've kept muffled for years. Yeah, her. The troublemaker. The real me. She clicked on that invite before I could stop her, so now I have to let her run free. 
And part of me is giggling madly. 
Another part is scared shitless. 
A writer? Me? Are you freaking kidding me? 
No, she isn't. 
She is the part of me that has been there all along. She's been waiting silently in the background for permission to come out and play. She asks, oh so nicely, for just a chance to see the sun, to feel the cool grass under her bare feet, to exist.
She scares me. She knows all of my secrets and isn't shy about telling them. Oh, she couches them in vague terms, of course, but she tells. 
Nothing is sacred to her.
Everything is fair game. 
Yikes!
And now, she is giggling in the background because she's forced my hand. 
Now, I have to write.
Truth be told, I'm kind of glad.


So yeah, I have to find a 'small stone' everyday and write about it. I have to pay attention to the real world instead of the cyber-world or the work world. Interesting. 


Let's see how this works out. It could be fun. It could be aggravating. It could be both, or neither. 

But now, I have to write. 
And, if I'm really honest with myself, I've always had to write. Why I've avoided it for so long, I have no idea. There is no good reason. I do have plenty of lame reasons though - I don't want to write crap. I don't have any good ideas. I can't find the words. It sounds stupid. I could go on and on. 

But, it's the first day and here is the first small stone that I'm tossing into the river: 


Ebony richness

transformed into deep caramel in my cup.
The cup reaches my lips 
the deep caramel is instantly transformed into
liquid gold.  

Yep, you guessed it...it's about coffee. I found inspiration in coffee today. 

What will it be tomorrow?
I have no clue. 
No clue at all. 

11 comments:

  1. Yay!! Coffee!! :-) Loved it Pattie!! Oh, this is Lee. I have no idea how this works. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! Even though you have no idea how it works, I was able to see your comment and reply on it! Imagine that! LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Let's see if I can stick to the challenge. I hope so. It would be a good habit to develop. Lord knows, I've developed enough bad ones over the years, so a good habit would be something new and interesting to try. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, beautiful, beautiful Pattie! I am so glad that you are releasing your voice! Time to join the island! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Absolutely petrified to be putting myself out here like this, but I'm doing it anyway. Rawr!

      Delete
  4. I love your coffee poem. You are a natural writer. I know you know you are because I know I am as well. If that made sense to you then I did well in relaying my point.
    I'm going to give this writing thing a try too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lolly. And yes, it makes perfect sense to me. By all means, let the scribe come out to play - you will feel a sense of relief when you do.

      Delete
  5. I notice that my first comment was posted under my nickname, given to me by my
    Grandmother,Lolly. I hadn't thought of
    myself as "Lolly" for...well, about forever.
    I still need to figure out the particulars of this site, but when I do I hope to put thought to keyboard and come up with something worth reading.

    ReplyDelete